Monday, September 29, 2008

Now that I'm Vegetarian, I should really learn to cook

I'm sure my mother is rolling her eyes heavenward at that title, wondering where she went wrong with her youngest child. I know- she did the same thing not too long ago when I had to ask her to sew a hem in a dress I was wearing for my brother's reception.

The thing is- I really can cook and sew (In fact I've actually been sewing a lot recently- personalizing my purse). But in both cases- I just need a lot more practice. I am actually not a bad cook when I actually do it- I just still, as of yet, haven't figured out how to get started. (plus I don't have that much time....)

It's even harder now that I've been keeping to a vegetarian diet (except for a few cheating times involving fish- yummy fish). The easy recipes I could make in the past (we're talking about at my parents' house, where they actually stock food beyond microwave meals)- involved mostly meat- like easy chicken parmesan or tuna noodles or beanie weenies.

The food I have in my apartment right now that I can eat? (discounting the yummy things my amazing roommates Kate and Lara have, because I actually avoid eating their food unless it's offered)

Noodles.
Makings for Fluffernutters (I checked the marshmallow fluff- it's vegetarian safe- uses xanthan gum instead of gelatin, which by the way, is made by a completely awesome lab method involving the fermentation of glucose or sucrose)
Various saucy things for toppings- like ketchup, jelly...
Stockpiled vegetarian microwave meals from the convenience store. (I've grown to really love the vegetarian meatloaf)


Clearly, my cooking and eating habits are pathetic. I'd like to change- but I don't even know how. I looked through Kate's vegetarian cookbook- it involved so many ingredients and time that I was like um...no.

I'll find something soon. But 'til then, I'm eating my "meat"loaf. mmmmmmmm yummy.

-Rach

2 comments:

Kate said...

Use the 5 ingredient book, not the foofy green one that is on crack. It works.

obsessive blonde said...

Faux chicken nuggets from Morningstar = the best.

We should have a vegetarian taco experiment night... I love tacos with soy meat but have never tried making them myself.

The Marshmallow Fluff exception is a beautiful thing... there are a lot of sweet exceptions like that, like iced organic PopTart knockoffs from Costco and Kool-Aid 'jello' snackpacks. And I'm fairly certain Gushers (remember those?) are veg friendly... win.