Wednesday, September 10, 2008

McCain/Palin Rally, Amazing New Camera

So I went to the McCain/Palin Rally in Fairfax today early- had an awesome time- got amazing pictures with new camera (more on that in a bit)- played a little acrobatic reporter to get out of the crazy crowd (differing reports estimate the crowd at between 23,000-27,000)- meaning I jumped over three fences and got down from the press stand by climbing down through the bleachers....in a skirt and heels (lesson number 1- never wear a skirt to an outdoor rally), it was insane- and wrote a 1,300 word story for UWire Youth Vote '08 and turned it in.

BAM.

It was a crazy insane morning but probably one of the funnest times I've had at a political event. And I'm really happy with my story- it's not a 'typical' news story, but I think it came out really well.

I am so elated over my new camera! After I turned in my camera to WPNI, I was left with nothing- since my other camera imploded like, back in May sometime (It's cool though, it was getting old and becoming less useful). So yesterday I tooled out to Circuit City and tested cameras- meaning I was the weird girl in the store zooming in as close as I could on distant things and seeing how the photo came out when I took the pic. This camera cost $200 and is AMAZING. It's not an slr, it's not huge- it's very little actually- but I took really really good close-up photos from 100 yards away at the rally.

I can't post any up yet because of a first publication agreement with the blog- but once it's up, I'll put a few up to demonstrate the AWESOMENESS of this camera. Really. It's amazing.


What a cool week! Covering Biden, then McCain/Palin, and Friday Bob Barr (I know, less important, but still kinda cool).

Weeeeeee

Rach

-EDIT-

My story is up online! Go see!

Now- Photos from the Rally!!!!

(I only had two posted up in the story and they're both tiny- these are more fun)

And keep in mind- I took these from probably 100 yards away, with a small non-SLR camera I bought yesterday. This camera is BRILLIANT.


When McCain first stepped up to the podium- the thumbs up signs! It was really bright outside so I thought it was pretty perfect that Cindy McCain insisted on wearing sunglasses.

The only person who didn't speak out of these four was Todd Palin- and Sarah Palin and John McCain talked about him enough to make up for it. : )

One of my favorites. They look like they're in a sea of signs.


I love Palin's expression in this one. I'm not certain what McCain's doing.


Former Senator Fred Thompson! AKA District Attorney Arthur Branch off of Law and Order. Love.


I took TONS of other pictures but I'm really really tired and sore all over so I'm just going to put one more up before I go to sleep- maybe more crowd pictures tomorrow.


This is my absolute favorite amazing picture of the day- I call it the hero shot. The guy in front just started yelling- "Wave your signs for the helicopter" and everyone started throwing them around- the symmetry of this just came out so wonderfully. He looks like he's leading a revolution- a Republican revolution. Ahhhh I love it so much.



So yeah. In short- the new camera is a complete success. Brilliant.

Time to massage my poor aching feet (don't wear heels to an outdoor rally- lesson number 2) and go to sleep.


Rach

No comments: