Monday, March 17, 2008

Dancing on the Ashes

As Wonkette mentioned, this week marks the fifth anniversary of the Iraq War. What an unglorious birthday.

I must say though, some of the anti-war protests that are happening are really quite ingenious.

I'm most fascinated by this event hosted by DC Students for a Democratic Society called "Funk The War 3" (which has apparently been held twice before). Not too much is said about it, but what is there, makes it sound like this protest will be an all-out free-loving dancing disco protest of awesome measure.

This is what their website says.

"We're going down to the K Street offices of the rich and powerful that started this mess and keep us in it, we're going to shut them down, and we're going to dance on the ashes. March 19 is the fifth anniversary of the War on Iraq and this is the party we're throwing for it."

Another part of this brilliant website says, "The Militant Mobile Anti-War Disco Returns to Drop More Beats, Not Bombs!"

Excellent. Thoroughly excellent. I definitely plan to attend and cover it for Connect Mason.

I love offbeat protests like this. I mean, there were the protesters in No War, No Warming dressed up as polar bears dancing to hip-hop music. There were also fleets of RAGING AT THE MOUTH kids on bikes blocking traffic. A lot of them ended up getting arrested.

Damn Polar Bears. Always disturbing the peace with their crazy requests for a home to boogie down in.

My favorite video from there is actually the last one on the page- where the polar bears get arrested, the camera man pushed back, and everyone starts yelling, "FREEDOM OF THE PRESS!" It just makes me swell up with pride for my awesome career.

You know, part of me knows that these protests don't really work because they just kinda piss everyone off, but I just love them so much and want them to work so badly that I don't really care. Plus they make FANTASTIC news coverage. As long as you don't overdo it, anyways.

I wrote up a piece on Connect Mason today blogger-style (lots of fun links) on the new Indian food place that just opened up on campus. It's pretty exciting I gotta say.

Anyways, over and out-

HG





No comments: