Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Will my boyfriend dump me if I buy a Mac?


This is a serious question. I mean, I know Aramaic loves the ground I walk on and all, but his distaste for all things Mac is truly epic sometimes.

I've seen him in action. He and my friend Dane used to get in fights about PC vs. Mac alll the time (of course they fought about everything else as well, but that's a whole 'nother story). I'm pretty sure he thinks Steve Jobs is the devil. (I don't think so, but I found so many hilarious depictions of Jobs and Macs as evil incarnate that I've posted them throughout this blog)


But I'm about to buy a new computer (my daddy's buying it, technically, but I have plans to pay him back for it). My old computer is a ratty old Dell I've had since senior year of high school that works fine until I manage to fill it up too much with photos and files and such. Then it freaks out. It's bad, but it's still pretty functional as is.

The only thing is- as a blogger for UWire Youth Vote '08, I plan on releasing videos at least once or twice a week. I need something I can edit videos on. I can use the computers at Student Media and at Star Labs, but I don't want to have to depend on that- this blog is lasting at least 12 weeks- if I'm making 12-30 videos, I don't want to be tied to someone else's computer.

If I try to put video editing software on my current computer, I'm pretty sure it will resort to the ancient Japanese ritual of hara-kiri.

Thus, I'm getting a new computer. I need one with lots of memory, that I can edit videos on and also for...everything else I currently do with a computer.

Despite always having a PC before, I'm inclining towards a Mac at this point. I've used Macs extensively for journalism throughout the years, and I enjoy using them. They've never given me a problem (except for the crazy network shit, but that's another story). They're simple to use- I'm most familiar with iMovie as an editing software- and for what I'm planning on doing, that's okay. I don't need crazy capabilities- I just need to be able to put clips together into a fun little video.

So after discussing it with my dad, I'm looking at a few different desktop Macs. They're cheaper than the laptops and offer the same capabilities or more- plus I think I'm going to keep my ratty Dell around for traveling purposes.

The decision now is- iMac or Mac Pro? I don't know if I need a Mac Pro right now- but this is definitely the last computer I want to buy for a while. Hopefully it'll get me out of college and into the professional world a few years.

But I'm terribly nervous that Aramaic won't be able to look at me once I've bought a Mac. That would be distressing.

So people should persuade him not to dump me if I buy a Mac. Because I'm buying one (they're pretty!). And I like him. And I feel like those two situations (me buying a Mac, us dating) shouldn't have to be mutually exclusive.

Now check out this uber-cool portrait of Steve Jobs made entirely of Apple products.


I don't know who the hell did this but it's incredibly funny.




<3-R



-UPDATE-

I was informed by Mr. ZS that in no way shape or form is he going to dump me for buying a Mac, but he may make fun of me a bit. He'll be coming with me to buy it.

: ) Weeee!

2 comments:

Jimmy Rogers said...

Honestly if you're a blogger and you do a lot of video there are very few technologically educated people who wouldn't see you as a good candidate for a mac. They're generally favored by pro-bloggers and people who work in any kind of video editing. Check out Epic-Fu (video podcast) and count the number of non-macs in their office.

I'm not sure why one would have such a hatred for macs unless they hate everything that isn't linux...which is also understandable :P

Jimmy Rogers said...

Btw, I should actually note that many online-ish people have MULTIPLE computers and usually one of those is a mac. Now with Boot Camp, many of them are going with a MacBook Pro and dual-booting.

Oh and if you do get a Mac and you can stand a bit of beaurocracy, go with Patriot Computers because Mason gets a cut instead of Apple getting all of it...no difference in price in almost any case.