Wednesday, August 20, 2008

So the UWire Youth Vote '08 Blog launched

www.youthvoteblog.com

I found the link through another blogger online- it's supposed to be cross-posted on cbs.com and washingtonpost.com, but I haven't been able to find it on either site. There's been like, one comment- I bet the views are really low. That sucks. I hope we get more promotion and stuff soon- the exposure is really all the payment we're getting for our work here.

It's a good variety of stories to start- some satire, some columns, a few newsy pieces (like mine). I'm not exactly sure why my story got pushed down like 4 stories, as I would consider a piece on the VP technology announcement fairly important, but oh well, I don't run the blog.

I'm working on some other stuff currently- this week, minors involved in politics. People who live and breathe and work politics, yet can't vote yet. I've found some cool Dems willing to talk to me- 17-year old communications director of the young democrats of Virginia Kenton Ngo, who's been involved since he was 12, and Thomas Senecal, the 15-year old founder of Teens for Clinton. However, I'm still definitely working on finding some minor Republicans. I wish I had better contacts in the Republican world- it feels like I'm so much more linked into the Democratic community then the Republican community just because I know so many more Dems. It worries me though- I really want to make sure I'm looking at all sides of the story and talking to absolutely everyone involved- no bias in my blog entries if I can help it.

I just reread over that- it sounds mildly creepy that I'm looking for minor Republicans. I swear, it's really just for an interesting news story.

Up next week will be a story/video looking at international students and their views on the election. It's no secret that the presidential election will affect people far beyond the United States. I remember the day I was in Germany and Obama's win in New Hampshire was plastered across the front page of all the papers. It's clear, though sad, that the world is watching the U.S. a lot more than we're watching them.

Since I have my gorgeous iMac now, I'm going to start doing videos with vigor here soon. I personally would like to have more like 2 or 3 pieces up a week rather than just the one- I think that's a decent turnout for a politics blogger. Plus I just think there're so many interesting topics to cover- I don't want to limit myself.

I'm on Obama veep watch, ready to bolt in case Governor Tim Kaine is announced as the choice. As the only Youth Vote '08 correspondent in Virginia, I'm probably in the best position to cover it. I'm just going back and forth to whether I should start doing some preliminary work now (e-mailing bloggers I plan to get comments from, etc.) or waiting until the announcement's out. Hm. Kaine's kinda a polarizing figure for many folks- a lot of people who supported him when he was elected don't necessarily like him very much right now. I think it'll be an interesting piece, if I get to write it. I'm hoping I can still write something even if he doesn't get it, along the lines of a "why wasn't he chosen?" piece. I'm not betting on anyone- it would just be much more beneficial for me as a Virginia politics writer if he was chosen.

Next Monday, I start school. Lord, help me. I'm taking 5 classes, all in history or journalism so I can't schlep through any of them (I make a policy of getting high grades in my major/minor classes); doing the politics blog thang; working part-part-time for LoudounExtra.com still (despite my parents' wishes, I really would like to keep a toe in the door of WPNI as long as possible- plus it actually pays); working as a peer minister for Lutheran Campus Ministry at Mason, and playing harp in the orchestra. Ugh. It's going to be insane.

I really wish I could quit the orchestra, but I'm shackled by a music scholarship and people's expectations (plus we're playing Firebird this year, which has two harp parts, so even though there's another harpist coming in, I have to play). I'm a music minor now- haven't been a major since spring break Freshman year- and honestly, I'm considering dropping the minor too. Music just isn't my passion at all, and it's pretty much my last priority. And I don't feel guilty about that- not too much. Why should I expend time on something I can live quite happily without when I'd much rather be pursuing a story to the end of time? What I do feel guilty about is the music scholarship I somehow get because my instrument's taller than me (and rare, okay, whatever) when I don't care, don't practice, and do everything possible to avoid it. There are so many other kids in the department that actually deserve it. Plus I just really don't enjoy orchestra anymore- the director can act completely insane and is a total jerk to me at times- like my every thought should revolve around music. I know for a fact he's said negative things about me in front of the orchestra when I haven't been there. I've actually talked to my parents about it at this point, and I think I'm going to ask the department to drop the scholarship, since there's another harpist here now and I'm planning on going abroad in the spring anyways. It'll decrease that weight off my shoulder anyways.

Whew, I can rant, can't I? I really do like harp, just as a hobby, not as a life- I much prefer my rock harp playing- which I'm completely in charge of- rather than the orchestra music and practices which suck my soul out and leave me miserable.


Hmmmm Back to Work.


-Rachael


-EDIT-

This shirt is totally for all my friends with peanut-allergies.

No comments: