Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Update and Wokka Wokka Wokka

So the internship at LoudounExtra is going really well- things have changed a lot since I first started. My days are way more structured now, and I do a lot more for the website. I update the linked up in loudoun blog daily, update the you said it feature (which pulls a comment from a reader and puts it on our front page), and do pretty much whatever Meghan wants me to do. I coordinate the weekly entertainment feature that Sydney, the other intern, and I write. We're working on expanding it a little more every week- so it's pretty fun.

I did a pretty awesome package of stories for Fourth of July that involved a lot of google map making- it was great fun. Today the first story in our new Q&A series got posted- it's mine! I interviewed the very cool founder of the Loudoun County Skate Project and got some badass pictures of him skateboarding up on the website (view the evidence below- the picture quality here is crap though, so go look a the story on the site). I'm very proud. : )



So LE is going great. I love it there. I'm trying very hard to stay on through school (it's up to my bosses to see if they like the hours I can give them or not). I'm a little worried about overcommitting myself- I'm taking 5 classes in the fall that I don't really want to drop (the 4 journalism classes decide whether I can go to London in the spring on an intern abroad trip). I've got the August 1 rock harp gig (that I seriously need to practice for), and I just applied for another writing gig which would be blogging on a (at-least) weekly basis for a youth political blog run by UWire, Washingtonpost.com, and CBS.com. Even though it would make my life CRAZY if I got it, I really really want it- I have a ton of videography ideas I want to put into being.

-sigh- It's times like these that I remember something a senior (filled to the brim with activities) told me back when I was a sophomore in high school trying to write stories for the Pony Express. I asked him how he made all his activities fit in his schedule and he just looked at me- dead-serious- and said, you make the time for what's important to you and you make it work. (At least somethign along those lines. I'm pretty sure it was in a slightly less Tim Gunn-ish way) The sentiment, at least, has stuck with me all these years (thanks james aton, wherever you are).

You make the time for what's important to you. I have so many things important to me coming up for this fall. It's important that I take these classes so I can intern in London in the spring- It's important I take the history class because I absolutelypositivelyamdying to be in Mills Kelly's class of awesomeness. It's important that I'm active with Lutheran Campus Ministry so I fulfill my role as a peer minister and serve the youth in the ministry as best as I can. It's important that I stay on at Loudoun Extra so I continue to get money and get amazing experience and connections. It's important that I try for this political blog thing- even though I probably don't have the time- because it's such an amazing opportunity to get my work out there in a really amazing year for journalism that I can't possibly turn it down.

And it's important that I try to see my boyfriend and friends a little too or I'm going to go stark raving mad. It's happened before.

Mehh. part of me can't WAIT for the fall, and part of me wishes it was still a million miles away.

Oh well.

And now an homage to my love for all things pacman.


Wokka Wokka bitches.

G'night

<3-Rach

No comments: