Saturday, July 12, 2008

Assorted Music Such, including harp rock options

Yeah I decided not actually to comment a ton on illegal immigration, mostly because my own ideas on the topic haven't completely formulated yet and i'm actually willing to admit that fact.

i love the song from duffy on the radio now- mercy. it's brilliant. very old-school throwback- even more than amy winehouse. and people described her voice in a very funny way- saying she sounds like a toddler on a pack a day. i can see the resemblance. i can't embed the music video in here- but you should go check it out anyways. Mercy, by Duffy

i'm going to start playing a bit of harp rock here- i have a gig at the opening of a bar in Manassas that i'm compiling music for now. means i actually really need to go practice- which is actually a lot harder than it sounds when my harp's over in the performing arts building. i never go anywhere near the PAB these days- i work full time in arlington- come on! i tried very hard to get the music department to let me keep the harp in my room for a few weeks and they flatly told me no. despite the fact that i'm the only harpist on campus until late august. and despite the fact that i've used this harp responsibly for two years now. hmph.

i considered kidnapping the harp, but allen (starfish) talked me out of it. probably a good idea.

anyways! here are some of the songs i'm planning on learning and rearranging for rock harp- i'm really trying to get a good mix of old and new, rock and relaxed, etc.

Big Yellow Taxi, Joni Mitchell! I'm extremely excited about doing a version of this. Check out Joni- isn't she brilliant?


Another Brick in the Wall, Pink Floyd- I hope I can do this. Might be difficult to pull off. I think it could be awesome. If you haven't seen the video to this (out of the Wall)- you're missing out, it's amazing.




Losing My Religion, R.E.M.- I think the mandolin solo on this could really work well on harp. Plus I just love the song.




Save the Last Dance for Me, michael buble was NOT the first person to do this song, but i can't remember who it is right now- and this is a fun version anyways. i just love this song- it's so classy.


It's Been Awhile, Staind- I know, an interesting choice. I think I can bring out a lot of feeling and femininity in this song that doesn't exist in the original version



I'm actually looking at a ton more stuff then this- I'm not going to give all my secrets away at once- but hopefully that gives you an idea of what sort of stuff I'm looking at doing.


Yep.

Rach

1 comment:

obsessive blonde said...

Nice choices. I've been meaning to learn some R.E.M. on either dulcimer or guitar... I'm determined to be able to play Pop Song 89 on guitar before the summer is over. ;)