Sunday, April 13, 2008

No Endorsement for President from Me- And Why

I've had a lot of fun this last week (no joke) writing and putting together videos around the Student Body Presidential elections. I live for this kind-of coverage- I mean, it's a race with 6 candidate pairs in it, all with different backgrounds, views, and ideas of how to be a good advocate for students. Sure, they all talk about the basic things- parking, dining, transportation, etc.- but they each have a separate viewpoint that sets them apart from the others.

It's been really interesting especially since Thursday's debate- which I went to for two reasons- to find more stories to write about and to try to get a better idea of who I would vote for.

I succeeded in one aim definitely. I've had a ball writing stories investigating the different allegations that were made that night. It was such a cat fight, and I'm sure some people were terribly distressed by it- but I loved it. It was so good journalistically- one of the more interesting debates I've seen ever- I guess because it's so close to home and I understood the underlying drama behind all of it (and anything I didn't understand I had someone running over talking to me about it in the next second). It was great fun. And getting to be the person looking behind the drama and saying, "Ok, this was said- is it true? What's the context?" and finding out the real story behind it- way cool.

I love doing such coverage on one topic. It lets you look in at it so much. Mm! Plus being the person spearheading all the coverage- I have pretty much full control of what I do, when I do it, and what's written about next. It's a joy!

I know. I'm a nerd. I talk about covering stories and issues the same way a wine connoisseur talks about Pinot Noir or a movie buff talks about a new foreign film they found. It's just the way I am. I'm completely passionate about what I do- this is completely, utterly, what I want to be doing for the rest of my life, come what may. It's cool to think that I'll probably still get this involved in a story when I'm 45 and talking about my job around the dinner table- probably boring whatever kids I have to pieces.

Anyways. People have continually asked me if I've decided who I'm going to vote for, who that person is, and if I'm going to endorse someone for the position.

The answer is no to all counts.

The debate certainly helped me expand my ideas on who might and might not be best for the presidency. The interviews and research I've done since then have helped even more in some ways, by clearing up questions that I myself had about the veracity of certain statements. Yet I still have not decided who I am voting for.

When I do decide, I'm probably not going to tell anyone what that decision is. Since I've been the main reporter covering all these candidates, it'd be a good idea for me to stay as neutral as possible on the issue, so that I still get interviews in the future without any awkward, "uh, so I heard you didn't vote for me," moments. In addition, I think it's just plain unprofessional to show bias in a race you're covering. I'm a little annoyed at myself for showing the preferences I have in the national presidential election already- my passion for getting my opinion on the best candidate out there overshot my reporter sense- it would have been much better for me to keep quiet on the issue and keep a more neutral appearance. But there's nothing I can do about that now.

Here's what I will say though- here are the traits I'm looking for when I vote on a Student Body President or Vice President.

I'm looking for someone who takes the job seriously- who is honest to everyone, but most particularly themselves. I'd like to have someone with experience and an understanding of how the system works, but who still thinks creatively and outside the box, and listens to the input of others. I think a President really needs to be able to get along with the majority of students and administration, in and out of student government, to be able to accomplish anything. Ethics and morality are at the top of the must list as well- if you don't have that, you don't have anything.

Those are my views I can reveal- to say much more would lead me to reveal which ways I'm leaning. I haven't decided who to vote for yet but I can say that I've narrowed it down to about half the candidates.

Anyways, those are just the ideas I'm getting out.

Read Connect2Mason.com!

And have a good one,

Rach

No comments: